Saturday 13 August 2011

Being mum, and being 'me'

Hello there! I love my children (boy-girl twins who are almost 3 months) and being their mummy is a huge part of my identity, but it's not all of it. I was a person with an identity before I had them. I had likes, dislikes, hobbies, opinions, dreams. While a lot of the things that I previously enjoyed are now simmering away quite happily on the back-burner, I do think it's important for mothers to get a little time to do something they love, to look after their whole selves.

I love to bake, and while it's certainly harder to do with two babies, I try and bake at least once a week. Why? Because I enjoy it, it's been a big part of my life, and it's one of the things that makes me feel more 'me'

Baking also produces treats, which I think are very important. People focus on the end-result of baking (and yes, cakes and cookies are awesome) but I also think that the process of baking can be a treat in itself. It give's time to think, the repetitive action can be soothing, it awakens the senses. I love the smells of baking, I love the feel of a ball of dough for making cinnamon rolls, the sweet smell of a cake mix, the silkiness of pancake batter. Other people enjoy the feel of fabric, the brightness of paint, the sights and smells of a garden.

Whatever it is that you enjoy, and makes you feel more 'you' take time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment