Thursday 18 August 2011

Changing Seasons

Summer is almost over here. It's not autumn, but all of a sudden the morning has a certain chill, and the air smells different. Kids are going back to school, and some are just starting. I see them pass the house with 'their satchels and shining morning faces.' I have always loved this time of year, this has always been my 'new year' It evokes the feeling of renewal and new possibility far more than the first of January.

I was still in the mood for something light and summery, so I settled on pineapple cupcakes, with lemon zest added to the batter for the bright zinginess and to evoke feelings of high summer. However, I wanted to make a nod to the autumnal whisper with a warming but unobtrusive flavour. This was achieved with the earthy warmth of ground ginger. The result was a cake that in my opinion is perfect for this time of year.

This is my time of renewal, and baking is good for my spirit. It is my little thing I try to do with great love. My hope for my children is that as they grow, they find the same satisfaction in the little things. That they do them with great love, and that they see the possibilities for growth and renewal that come their way.

Here is the recipe - there is enough for approx 18 cupcakes. All measurements are Uk imperial.

6oz butter
6oz castor (superfine) sugar
3 medium eggs
6oz self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 small tin of crushed pineapple (drained and juice reserved)
A scant tsp of ground ginger
Zest of 1 lemon.

Method: Preheat oven to 180 centigrade (350 fahrenheit, or gas mark 4)
Grease or line your cupcake tins.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour along with each egg to stop the mix curdling.
Sift in the remaining flour along with the salt, ginger, and lemon zest, and mix until well combined.
Fold in the drained pineapple crush.
Put heaped tsps of the mix in your cupcake tins, and place the tin in the centre of your pre-heated oven.
Bake for approx 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of one of the cakes comes out clean.
Remove from oven, and after a few minutes remove the cupcakes from the tin and cool on a wire rack.

These would be fine unadorned, but I added a simple glace icing by mixing some of the reserved pineapple juice with icing sugar and a pinch of ginger. I didn't measure, just work with what you need to get the consistency and quantity that you desire.

Happy Baking, if you do decide to bake these, I really hope you enjoy them.

God Bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment