Sunday 6 November 2011

Sleep or Solitude?

Being a mum of twins and an introvert can be tricky sometimes. I love my children, I cherish the time I spend with them, but as an introvert I also crave quiet and solitude.

Sometimes, this means making a choice between staying in bed and sleeping, or getting up while the house is quiet and everyone else is sleeping. I choose to get up, and honestly, I find that solitude just as restful as sleep. It gives me a chance to enjoy a cup of coffee, think quietly, and generally prepare for the day.

I've always been the type of person who needs time to 'come to'. Having to be on my feet before my eyes are open is a horrible feeling to me, it puts me out of sorts for the rest of the day. I feel as if I'm always playing catch-up.

My baby boy is awake now, and I'm glad I've had this early morning period of solitude. It prepares me for the day, and helps me to be a better mother. The cup of extra-strong coffee doesn't hurt either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment