Thursday 2 February 2012

Hamming it Up

As readers of this blog will know, I'm trying to be more aware of what my family and I are eating. I'm also trying to be more aware of what we're spending. This means planning ahead, and sometimes, getting a bit creative in the kitchen.

Today, I made one modest piece of ham stretch to 3 meals.

First, I boiled the ham. I then removed it, allowed it to cool slightly, and sliced it. Meal number one is obvious - boiled ham, which will be served with potatoes and veg. The ham is in the freezer, ready to be used another day.

I also kept some of the ham, and diced it. This will be mixed tonight with mushrooms, garlic, onions, and cream cheese to make a yummy sauce to serve with pasta. Meal number 2.

Meal 3 is one of my favourites, and something I (and most Scots) grew up on. Ham and lentil soup. I just added chopped onion, carrots, and turnip to the ham stock. Stirred in a couple of good handfuls of red lentils, and let it simmer away.

Delicious! x3.

No comments:

Post a Comment